Tuesday, March 03, 2009

Juicin' In A Sling

Thanks to my cousin's wife, Michelle, I was able to have a successful juice for lunch!! She sent me a Pippalily Sling for River awhile back. Between the Pippalily and the Moby Wrap, River travels through the house in style....worn by his mama and daddy.

Some of you know but River has a "gas" issue....but of course he would, look at the source from whence he came. There are moments of inconsolable crying and fussiness, and Ryan and I strap in for the ride everyday. Love the Gripewater, a herbal remedy from Whole Foods, by the way.

One night while we were up with the Little Guy trying our best to figure out how to soothe his achy tummy, I thought maybe there's a juice I could fix for me and then River would get it through my milk. I pulled out my Juicing Bible (literally - that's what it's called) and looked up indigestion juices. Here is what I dined on for lunch today. In our juicer, I put....

1/4 of an acorn squash
2 apples
1 carrot
1 inch piece of ginger root
a couple of slices of lemon

After juicing, I stirred in...
1/4 cup of natural yogurt with live cultures
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp cardamom

I downed the juice and got it all cleaned up before River stirred. Perfect timing! We'll see if it makes a difference. I have enough goods for three more of the indigestion juices. Do I hear breakfast calling tomorrow?

Thanks, Michelle, for the sling and thank you, River, for almost sleeping through it all...Now, just how do we get him to sleep through the night....wear him and turn the juicer on???
Any other more realistic suggestions?

2 comments:

Talina said...

I am glad you mentioned all this! I've just not gotten in to smoothies and have been wondering about slings.

I heard about gripewater and wondered if it really worked...

It is great that you are sharing the juice recipe too! Now I need a juicer.

Anonymous said...

We found that if we give Thomas a bath then feed before bed, he sleeps longer. We are getting up to 7-8 hours now. I know that will change when the wonderful teeth start coming in a few months.