Thursday, April 10, 2008

Life with a Honda Civic...

...and only a Honda Civic.

Kari and I sold our truck last November. It was an ol' 98 Mazda B3000 we lovingly called the White Buddah, only because we had to rub the dashboard to make sure it'd get us where we wanted to go.
We decided to live life with one car for a while, just to save money so when we bought another vehicle we could pay cash. Luckily I have my motorcycle to rely on, so the going hasn't been too tough. If the temp was above freezing when I left in the morning or the rain was holding off, I was ok riding the Yamaha almost every day this winter. But we came to a realization this week...
...A Honda Civic and a motorcycle are no help when your trying to bring home 5 large shrubs for your newly bare flowerbed...
I took some of the precious free time that I am allotted now and dug up the flower bed in our front yard. The folks before us had just put a hodge-podge of shrubs and bushes there, and we promised ourselves we would work on it this April. So Wednesday Kari and I stopped by the store after work to pick up some boxwoods for the flowerbed.
First of all, I left two shrubs that I thought were boxwoods in the flowerbed, just because they were still alive and I thought we could just add to them. Well, we get to the store and start looking at the boxwoods and Kari says...."that's not what we have at home." I was convinced it was. But after careful consideration...(Kari's always right)...I realized what we had at home were a type of Holly bush. So we ended up buying a couple of those and 5 Boxwoods.
Now realize that the Boxwoods were about 2-3 feet tall and fairly wide. We cart them out to our car and stand there wondering "how in the world are we going to get these things home?"
Bad planning on our part.
So sure enough, because we live by the motto of our life being an adventure, we begin stuffing the plants into the innocent Honda Civic. About 15 minutes later, we finally had them all in...and this is what we looked like:
Now, I'm not sure if you can see or not, but Kari is stuffed in the middle of the back seat between all the shrubs. Don't worry, she somehow got her seatbelt on and miraculously I was able to see out of all the rear-view mirrors.
It would have been nice to have a truck or large SUV to throw all the plants in and head home, but what fun would that have been? We laughed the whole way home wondering what people thought of us.
We got the plants home and I spent some time today planting them. I have to say, I wish we had a before picture, because it has made a world of difference. I actually feel good about the front of our house now.
So if you are looking for a vehicle to help you move a large load of....well, anything, then look no further than a Honda Civic. We know from experience.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why didn't you use the trunk space??

Ryan and Kari Jenkins said...

The plants were too tall to put in the trunk. If we laid them down, all their dirt would have spilled out.

Anonymous said...

Somehow this story doesn't surprise me at all. :-)