Wednesday, April 22, 2009

My Green Lunch

I wasn't planning on blogging about my lunch today, but as I kept putting it all on my plate...it just kept getting prettier and prettier and greener and greener. And I had to take a picture.

I got the basic Kale with Aduki Beans Recipe from Alison@wholesomegoodness.net, and I altered a bit for me. I'll try and rehash how I made it.

I used the coconut oil at first about 2 Tbsp and heated it in the pan and sauteed 2 chopped leeks (the white and light green parts) and I added a couple of cloves of crushed garlic (Mmmmm...I love garlic). Then, I needed more oil so I used olive oil because I was trying to be quick during River's nap. No more time trying to dig out the solid coconut oil. I only had a few moments to make my fine dining lunch. Then, I added a can of drained and rinsed Aduki Beans and the stems from a "bunch of Kale." I think the recipe says 6 cups, but I just chopped it all up. Once that was heated, I added about 1/4 cup of water...I spilled some on the way to the pan, so who knows really. But then I added the chopped Kale and put the lid on for a couple of minutes. I love my Kale a little crunchy and crisp still. I added some pepper and doused it with Bragg's Amino Acid (sort of like a soy sauce, but much better).

Before I began, I started a pot of Quinoa. I did the basic recipe. 2 cups water, bring to boil, add 1 cup of rinsed Quinoa, turn down to a simmer or med-low and cover for 12-15 minutes...until the Quinoa creates those spirals. It makes about 4 cups of Quinoa.

So, bed of Quinoa and put the Kale and Aduki Beans on TOP. DELISH!!!!

Then, I sliced a Granny Smith Apple and sprinkled it with salt. My in-laws taught me that last time they were here. Yummy! It takes the kick out.

I had half an Avocado left, so I spooned a little salsa where the pit used to be.

Yummy lunch! And for those of you wondering how I did that and took care of sweet River...I'm no SuperMom. I cut up the kale and leeks the day before and ended up enjoying my meal over River's cry and then he slept on my chest while I dropped Quinoa and Kale all over his back. He fell asleep and didn't mind, so I would just pick it off of him and eat it. No Wasting such a Good Lunch!

*If I remember, I'll try and post my Sweet Potato Salad with Apple and Avocado that I made for dinner the other night. It was quite tasty too.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey girl,

We have got to work on your eating habits when we move up there. The recipe for Sweet potato salad sounds good since I can't have white potatoes. Dad

Anonymous said...

I love your lunch Kari! I might try that recipe and I'm checking out the wholesomegoodness website as I write this. Thanks! Enjoying seeing new pictures of River and hearing about your guys' life. We'll get together soon! Love ya. Becky

galit.viviana said...

oh my goodness! That meal is some serious yumminess! should you rename your blog "kari eats kale"?

Ryan and Kari Jenkins said...

I've thought about a food blog. Heather is so inspiring with hers. Kale?! Thought about it. Kari eats Kale. Good one. Or The Quinoa Queen...I've also considered that one too. We'll see.

Kelly said...

Thought I'd drop by and see how River was doing. He's adorable! And I would definitely be into a Kari food blog! Yummy! I'm always wanting to try new recipes and especially healthier ones. Where did you learn all that??? Keep up the recipes! And it sounds like your supermom to me!!